A lot of people have been asking me how they can sell on Jumia via email, that is why I have decided to write an article on how to start selling on Jumia.
If you have one or more products you want to sell on Jumia, then read this article till the end and find out how to get started. Let me tell you a brief history about Jumia and how it became one of the largest marketplaces in Africa before we look into how to start selling on Jumia.
- 1 About Jumia
- 2 How to start selling on Jumia
- 3 Is it free to sell on Jumia?
- 4 What are the payment options for selling on Jumia Marketplace?
- 5 How do I list my products on Jumia Marketplace?
- 6 What is the Seller Center?
- 7 How to describe the items to make them stand out
- 8 Image size and how to get images
- 9 Review and validation of product list
- 10 How to process an order and cancel Order
- 11 How does Jumia Marketplace handle customer returns and refunds?
- 12 How does Jumia Marketplace handle shipping and delivery?
- 13 How to deliver your order
- 14 What support does Jumia Marketplace provide to its sellers?
- 15 How do I get paid for sales made on Jumia Marketplace?
Jumia is an online e-commerce store that allows sellers to display their products in order to reach millions of online top-notch buyers or consumers.
Jumia was launched in 2012 by Africa internet Group (AIG) in Nigeria, Morocco, South Africa and Egypt.
Jumia is available in 12 countries, 10 countries in Africa which are Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, Morocco, Uganda, Senegal, Tunisia, Algeria, Ivory Coast and Egypt. While outside Africa, Jumia can be found in China and Portugal.
Jumia provides services for consumers (i.e buyers) and business owners.
The following are the services that are offered by Jumia for the consumers:
- Buy on Jumia: Where you can shop for millions of products at the best prices.
- Buy food an groceries: Jumia food is a convenient ordering platform for fast deliveries. You can order from a range of restaurants, grocery shops and supermarkets, delivered to your doorstep in record time.
- JumiaPay: JumiaPay is a free online payment service that enables you to make online payments securely, instantly and cost-effectively. Using JumiaPay is the safest and easiest way to pay on Jumia platforms and it is faster than any other payment method.
The following are the services that are offered by Jumia for the business owners:
- Sell on Jumia: Jumia enables companies and entrepreneurs in Africa to scale-up their businesses and increase revenues by helping them connect with millions of online consumers.
- JumiaPay: JumiaPay has been tailored for e-commerce since its creation and offers safe and secure seamless payments with excellent success rates. Join the community and start accepting payments from millions of users in the world.
- Logistics services for businesses: Jumia Logistics is the leading e-commerce fulfillment and express delivery service in Africa, offering sellers the benefits of a distributed and scalable logistics service while providing consumers more rapid access to the goods they love.
- JForce agents: JForce is a network of sales consultants that place Jumia platform orders on behalf of consumers in a commission based program. Our objective is to bridge the gap in some places in Africa where internet access is limited and trust in e-commerce is still developing. The JForce network also empowers entrepreneurs and generates employment through Jumia’s established brand.
- Advertisement: Jumia Advertising helps you to grow your brand, visibility, and business through relevant, high-quality online advertising solutions that help you find, attract, and engage millions of consumers.
- Affiliate marketing: Affiliates and Influencers can work with Jumia and earn money through mutual benefit partnerships. Influencers and companies can advertise for Jumia using unique tracking links that they place on their websites, social media, blogs, etc.
Jumia has the believe that technology has the potential to transform everyday life in Africa, for the better.
Jumia was built to help consumers access millions of goods and services conveniently and at the best prices while opening up a new way for sellers to reach consumers and grow their businesses.
Now, let’s take a look on how to start selling on Jumia.
How to start selling on Jumia
If you want to start selling on Jumia, you need to follow the steps below carefully.
1. Register on Jumia
You need to register on Jumia as a seller before you can start selling your products. You will be asked to submit your mail address, phone number, bank account details and business registration. If you are not based in Nigeria, visit this page, select your country and click on the start now button, it will take you to the seller registration page.
2. Activate your account
You need to activate your account after creating one, visit the Seller Center page and use the access codes you received in your email to log in.
3. Go through training
Once your registration is complete, you will need to undergo seller’s training before you can start managing your shop.
4. List and sell your products
You can now start uploading your best selling products and start selling.
- How to start palm wine business
- How to start charcoal business
- How to make biochar
- How to open Opay account
- How to start chin chin business
That’s all on how you can start selling on Jumia, but you may be asking if selling on Jumia is free, keep on reading and you will find out this article is about to answer some of your questions.
Is it free to sell on Jumia?
Opening a store on Jumia is absolutely free. You can open a store at any time and start selling as quickly as you can upload your products online.
However, each sale you make through the Jumia ecommerce platform attracts a fee depending on the conveyance method chosen and the type of products. The charges are in three categories, such as shipping cost contribution, commissions, and Jumia Express fees.
What are the payment options for selling on Jumia Marketplace?
Jumia Marketplace supports a variety of payment options, including cash on delivery, bank transfers, mobile and online payments.
How do I list my products on Jumia Marketplace?
To list your products on Jumia Marketplace, you need to create a seller account, complete the new seller training, provide product details, and upload product images.
There are different ways you can list your products depending on the category and the number of products you want to present to the shoppers.
Listing your products is a necessary skill on to start selling on Jumia. See the methods below.
- List one product at a time
- Sell Your feature
- Do Massive creation with Bulk Templates
- Ask Jumia Content Team to help you list your products
Comply with Jumia product creation guidelines for easy acceptance and follow the tips there to help you succeed with your product creation and launch on Jumia.
See the validation procedure. You could also learn more about how to list products by clicking on this link.
What is the Seller Center?
To start selling, you need to make use of the seller center and understand its capabilities. After registering, you will manage your online store through the Seller Center.
This portal gives you access to the vital information you need to manage your sales, add products, update your product information, see an overview of real transactions, etc.
This portal is a one-stop-shop to simplify the management of your sales account on Jumia.
Here is a list of some things you can do from the Seller Center.
- Keep an eye on your inventory and update your listings
- Track all orders of your products that are in Jumia network
- Start promotional campaigns
- Use buyer’s metrics tools to monitor your selling performance
How to describe the items to make them stand out
If you want to be successful selling on Jumia, describe your items accurately. The best way to describe the things you are selling is to list all its main highlights (key technical specifications), unique qualities or selling features, functions, size or dimensions, weight, precisely as they are.
Next, pitch what you are selling to show the customers all the benefits of your product and add images that express how valuable the products are to users.
Image size and how to get images
Another critical aspect of selling on Jumia is adding images. I am sure you know that shopping is a visual process so, you may copy and paste pictures directly from other websites.
The image specification for the items you are selling must be 680×850 pixels or a minimum resolution of 500×500 pixels. But they can be as large as 2000×2000 pixels, and you can crop them with Jumia’s image tool. You may submit different angles of the images.
If you do not have an image of your product, go online to search for images with its unique model number.
You may also take a picture of the image of a live product in a studio that follows the Jumia image guidelines.
Review and validation of product list
All products you list on the Jumia Portal for sale will be reviewed and approved by the Jumia Quality Control team in 2 working days before it goes live.
- To review your active product listings, Login to your Seller Center account and click on “manage Products”; and then select “Live.”
- If they reject a product, click on X beside the product, or you will see a little triangle in the Column labeled Visible. (Learn more about the Validation Procedure)
- You can then click on “Poor quality or Rejected reasons” to see reasons for rejection by Jumia Quality Control Team.
- Next, go to Edit, then “Edit Details” to correct or amend it.
- Once the Jumia Quality Content team approves your product lists, they will go live on Jumia.com, and you will start receiving orders from buyers.
How to process an order and cancel Order
Mastering how to process an order is crucial if you want to start selling on Jumia. Immediately a customer orders one of your products; you have 24 hours to get the item ready to ship.
Follow steps below to do it correctly:
- Go to your Seller Center account every day to find out if you have a new order (You will also get an email alert anytime a customer places a new order for your product).
- Go to Orders” then select “Manage Orders.A new order will be pending on the orders tab. Follow Jumia Guidelines to prepare (pack you order properly) your package for delivery.
- If you do not have the item in stock, cancel the order by selecting “Canceled” under “Actions.” Give a reason for canceling the order, note Jumia will charge you for canceling an order.
How does Jumia Marketplace handle customer returns and refunds?
Jumia Marketplace has a returns and refund policy in place to handle customer complaints and ensure a smooth customer experience.
How does Jumia Marketplace handle shipping and delivery?
Jumia Marketplace handles all the shipping and delivery towards the customer for all products that are sold on the platform.
How to deliver your order
Jumia provides you two essential methods to deliver your orders. They are:
- Prepare your packages and drop off items at Jumia’s VDO stations: It means that you are responsible for storing all your products, packing the orders, and carrying them to their VDO stations, while Jumia handles the delivery to your customers.
- You subscribe to Jumia Express service: Convey your products to Jumia and let them take charge of their inventory and make them available for sale quickly. It means that at each order, Jumia packages and ships the product straight to the customer.
What support does Jumia Marketplace provide to its sellers?
Jumia Marketplace provides a variety of support services to its sellers, including training, account management, marketing support, and vendor support service.
How do I get paid for sales made on Jumia Marketplace?
Sellers receive payments for their sales on Jumia Marketplace through bank transfers or mobile money payments. Visit this link to learn more.
If you have any question that haven’t been answered regarding how to start selling on Jumia, please feel free to make use of the comment box below or contact us.