Are you planning to become a Dental nurse in Nigeria and you wish to know Dental nurse salary in Nigeria?
In this article, you will find out the salary of a dental nurse in Nigeria, who a dental nurse is, their responsibilities, and how to become a dental nurse in Nigeria.
Dental nursing is among the career opportunities in Nursing. Although, the profession is rare in the country. Dental nursing is offered as a course in accredited institutions in Nigeria. Some of these institutions are designated medical or dental schools, where students are equipped with the knowledge and tools that’ll make them beneficial to the community and the society at large.
Who is a dental nurse?
A dental nurse is a highly skilled professional, trained to provide both medical and dental care. They assist the dentist, therapists and hygienists in providing optimum care to patients with oral diseases. Dental nurses are the first point of contact for patients in a dental clinic.
What are the roles of a dental nurse in Nigeria?
The responsibilities of dental nurses in Nigeria varies depending on where you are working. But below are some of the general responsibilities you will be carrying out as a dental nurse in Nigeria:
- Sterilization of dental equipment and storing them
- Recording and filing information that are crucial to the treatment plan of a patient while a dentist works on them
- Preparing materials for the dentist
- Welcoming and checking in patients at the reception
- Carrying out cleaning procedures on a patient’s mouth during treatment
- Supplying the dentist with necessary equipment during operations on a patient.
- Providing psychological support and reassurance to the patient
- Processing and filing x-rays
- Educating patients on oral hygiene
For those who wish to become a dental nurse, before looking at the salary of dental nurse in Nigeria, let me tell you in brief on how to become a dental nurse in Nigeria.
What is dental nurse salary in Nigeria?
The salary of dental nurse in Nigeria is N100,000 per month. The salary of dental nurses in Nigeria increases as you progress in the profession. There are some hospitals or institutions that pay more and there are some that pay less.
That is why the salary of a dental nurse in Nigeria is affected by various factors which are:
- Level of experience.
- Institution you are working for (either private, state or federal)
What is the salary of a dental nurse in Federal hospitals in Nigeria
The salary of dental nurses in federal hospitals is N90,000 per month. In Federal hospitals, dental nurse salary in Nigeria will increase as their level of experience also increases.
What is the salary of a dental nurse in Private hospitals in Nigeria
The starting salary of a dental nurse in Private hospitals in Nigeria is N70,000 per month. There are some Private hospitals in Nigeria that pay more that the above stated salary. But a dental nurse that has the intention of working in a Private hospital in Nigeria should be expecting a starting salary of N70,000. Although, the salary increases as the level of experiences increases.
How to become a dental nurse in Nigeria?
To become a dental nurse in Nigeria, you must have obtained at least Five Credit at O/Level GCE/SSCE, NECO or its equivalent in Mathematics, English Language, Physics, Chemistry and Biology in not more than two sittings. Afterwards, you need to gain admission into an accredited university to study Dental Nursing through Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB). While at Post Basic Level must be a Registered Nurse with a current practicing License with the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria (NMCN).
At the end of the program, you will be posted for a compulsory one-year internship in a hospital where you will practice as a nurse and have the opportunity to relate with other professional nurses.
Now that you have known who a dental nurse is as well as their roles. Let us talk about dental nurse salary in Nigeria.
How long does it take to study dental nursing in Nigeria?
According to NMCN, Dental Nursing shall be a Post Basic Programme of 18 months’ duration to be handle by the School of Dental Nursing at the Federal College of Dental Technology Enugu. Typically, the duration for any nursing program is 3 years in Nursing school and 5 years in the University.
Accredited Dental Nursing School in Nigeria
The accredited schools offering dental nursing in Nigeria are:
- Lagos University Teaching Hospital Hospital (LUTH), Idi-Araba.
- School of Dental Nursing, Federal College of Dental Technology Enugu
Not much institutions are offering dental nursing in Nigeria. Although, Lagos University Teaching Hospital Hospital (LUTH), Idi-Araba alongside School of Dental Nursing, Federal College of Dental Technology Enugu are the institutions where you can study Dental nursing in Nigeria. However, if you know of any accredited universities where you can study dental nursing in Nigeria, please let us know in the comment box below.
Feel free to also check out:
- The salary of medical doctors in Nigeria
- How to do NMCN Online License Renewal, WCEA, CPDP, MCPDP Fees
- The salary of a registered nurse in Nigeria
- Pharmacist salary in Nigeria
- The salary of pharmacologist in Nigeria
- The salary of Nigerian army officers
- The salary of Nigerian navy officers
- The salary of dentists in Nigeria
- What is the salary of dental technician in Nigeria