If you have the intention to become a dentist in Nigeria, it is proper for you to know the salary of dentist in Nigeria as well as how to become a dentist in Nigeria.
There are a lot of career opportunities in the medical profession in which Dentistry is one. Dentistry is a profitable profession in Nigeria.
In Nigeria, Dentistry is a profession that is in high demand. They are also essential in the healthcare care team in providing holistic health care to people, the community as well as to the public.
In this article, you will find out:
- who a dentist is,
- their roles,
- how to become a dentist in Nigeria,
- the salary of dentist in Nigeria,
- the salary of dental interns in Nigeria.
Who is a dentist?
A dentist is a healthcare provider who specializes in oral health. They are involve in the promotion of oral hygiene, prevention and treatment of oral diseases or injury. Dentists are also involved in the treatment and correction of malformation of the jaws, misalignment of the teeth, and birth anomalies of the oral cavity
Dentistry is a medical profession that concern with the promotion of oral hygiene, prevention and treatment of diseases of the teeth and supporting structures of the teeth.
Those who studied dentistry in the university or medical school are called Dentist.
What are the responsibilities of dentist?
The responsibilities of a dentist is enormous, some have been said above but we will be repeating them for those who missed them.
Some of the responsibilities of dentist are:
- Promotion of oral health.
- Prevention of oral diseases.
- Diagnose and treat diseases of the teeth, gums and other supporting structures of the mouth.
- Examine the growth of teeth and jawbones.
- Remove decay from teeth and fill cavities.
- Apply sealants or whitening agents on teeth.
- Give anesthetics to keep patients from feeling pain during dental procedures.
- Write prescriptions for antibiotics or other medications.
- Examine x rays of teeth, gums, the jaw, and other oral structures.
Dentist also work with the dental nurse, dental technician, hygienist, dental assistant.
Now that you have known who a dentist is and their roles, if you still decide to become a dentist in Nigeria, let me tell you how you can become a dentist in Nigeria.
How to become a dentist in Nigeria
To become a dentist in Nigeria is a bit similar to becoming a medical doctor in Nigeria. Firstly, you need to have at least Five O’Level Credits passes (either in WAEC or NECO) in English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
Secondly, you need to gain admission either through UTME or DE to an accredited university offering Dentistry as a course. Once you have gain admission, and you have passed through all the courses needed to be a dentist in the university, you will be awarded Bachelor of Dental Surgery (B.D.S).
Although, before you can practice as a dentist, you have to be formally inducted and undergo one year of compulsory internship and another year of NYSC, then be registered with the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN).
Dentistry students also take similar courses alongside the medical students for a period of time (first four years) in the university.
How long does it take to study dentistry in Nigeria?
It takes 6 years to study dentistry in Nigerian universities. Dentistry is a 6-year course after which you will be will be awarded Bachelor of Dental Surgery (B.D.S). Then a year internship and NYSC need to be done before yoh can be registered with the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN).
Now that you have known the duration to study dentistry in Nigeria as well as how to become a dentist in Nigeria, let us take a look on what the salary of dentist in Nigeria is.
What is the salary of dentist in Nigeria?
The salary of dentist in Nigeria is N180,000 per month for a start. Your salary as a dentist keeps increasing as you progress in the dental profession. The salary of dentist is affected base on:
- The institution/hospital (Private, State or Federal) the dentist is working for and
- Level of experience
But you should know that dentist in Federal hospitals earn more money than those in State hospitals.
Now that you have known the average salary of dentist in Nigeria, it is appropriate for you to know the salary of intern dentist in Nigeria
What is the salary of intern dentist in Nigeria
The salary of intern dentist in Nigeria is N120,000 per month. An intern dentist will work as an intern in Federal hospitals for a year before enrolling for NYSC.
Now let us take a look at the salary of NYSC dentist
What is the salary of NYSC dentist in Nigeria
The salary of NYSC dentist in Nigeria is between N50,000 to N100,000 per month. NYSC dentist salary depends on the place you are doing your NYSC.
Universities offering Dentistry in Nigeria
Below are the confirmed universities offering dentistry in Nigeria:
- University of Jos – UNIJOS
- University of Calabar – UNICAL
- Bayero University – BUK
- University of Port Harcourt – UNIPORT
- University of Benin – UNIBEN
- University of Ibadan – UI
- University of Lagos – UNILAG
- Lagos State University – LASU
- University of Maiduguri – UNIMAID
- Obafemi Awolowo University – OAU
- University of Nigeria Nsukka – UNN
Conclusion on the salary of dentist in Nigeria
Dentist is a noble and a limited profession in Nigeria, the number of dentist in the country are not as many as that of the other medical profession. It is appropriate to know the salary of dentist in Nigeria before you study the course.
As a dentist, you can work in hospitals, private sector, in a community or organisation. Dentists are important part of the healthcare team because they deal with oral structures.
Now that you have known the salary of dentist in Nigeria, if you have any inquiries you can make use of the comment box below, a response will be given ASAP. Feel free to also check out:
- The salary of medical doctors in Nigeria
- The salary of registered nurses in Nigeria
- Pharmacist salary in Nigeria
- The salary of pharmacologist in Nigeria
- The salary of Nigerian army officers
- The salary of Nigerian navy officers
- What is dental nurse salary in Nigeria
- What is dental technician salary in Nigeria